Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bottomless Banana Bread Day

I woke up this morning with plans in mind for the perfect day which consisted of sleeping in, a clean house, laundry done, a lunch date with a friend, and the day off work. I had a little extra time to kill along with some over ripe bananas and we all know what that leads to, right? BANANA BREAD!!  I got out my Grandpa Wassmers recipe and Emma and I began to mix. We got the bread into the oven and soon the house was filled with that ever so  familiar smell that always brings back memories. Then the moment came......the buzzer went off and we took the bread out of the oven. It was the perfect loaf, just like my perfect day. It was a beautiful golden brown and just the right height in the pan.With Emma looking on begging for a peice,  I carefully slid the knife around the sides to loosen it up, flipped it upsidown and suddenly.....PLOP.  The bottom of the bread was stuck to the pan while the rest of the bread flipped out onto the cooling rack. I let out a huge "NOOOO" !!!  How in the world could this happen? Just then the phone rang with some bad news. A few other not so great things began to happen. There my bottomless bread sat on the counter becoming a bad omen for things to come. I decided that I would throw the bread into the garbage but first needed to deal with some of the drama that had suddenly come my way. As I was tackling a few of the problems, my eye caught a glimps of the bread. I realized that it looked really moist and decided to cut into  it despite its imperfection. I sliced off a peice for Emma and one for myself and we found ourselves sitting side by side on the couch enjoying one of the moistest, tastiest peices of banana bread EVER!!! It was heaven. What a shame it would have been had I thrown the bottomless bread away never to be enjoyed for its imperfect perfection. It was then that I realized that this imperfect - perfect loaf of bottomless bread is much like my day. I made a choice to give the bread a chance...to look past the drama and enjoy what lies underneath. I let out a big sigh and looked over at my imperfect - perfect daughter and my imperfect - perfect self and my imperfect - perfect day and  realized that some times, when things get tough, there is always a peice of  bottomless bread waiting to make things a little brighter.  You just have to cut that first slice and enjoy.  Happy Bottomless Banana Bread Day!!!

1 comment:

Maranni said...

I totally enjoyed your blog. You have a real knack for writing. Keep it up.