Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Elf on the Shelf Jesus Style






I love this time of year. I have the most wonderful memories of the house filling up with the smell of homemade candy, looking through the catalogs to make my Christmas list to send to Santa, watching Christmas Vacation with dad and hearing his infectious laugh, and gathering around as a family to learn about the birth of our Savior. When I was younger, we didn't have an elf that would visit our house to watch our every move then return to the North Pole at night to report our behavior to Santa. All we had was my mothers look, that only a mother can give, that put the fear of death into us letting us know we were out of line. I am positive that my mother would have gone nuts if she had to come up with a creative way to pose the elf each night as she had enough on her plate with us 5 (and sometimes 6) kids. I have to admit that I have dove into the Elf on the Shelf idea for Emma. Last year was the first year that our elf came from the North Pole to watch Em as she went about her day. It was so much fun for Darin and I trying to figure out new funny ideas and it seems that our Elf was getting into more trouble than Emma was. We would wake up to find him fishing in the toilet, Putting a puzzle together with Baby Alive, and the Elf standing at the top of the stairs rolling toys and toilet paper down each step. We even found him sitting in Darin's airplane hanging from the ceiling fan as it was spinning around. We have a lively elf!



This morning I was looking on Facebook and came across the idea of Elf on the Shelf Jesus style from the blog www.crayonmarksandtigerstripes.com. So tonight for family night, our Elf is going to arrive with the first letter from Santa. It is going to say:


Dear Emma,
I know you are excited about the Christmas season.  I am too!!  My elves are working hard to prepare for Christmas Day.  
Speaking of elves, I have sent one of my dearest friends to help you prepare for Christmas.  It is a lot of fun to look at Christmas lights, sing Christmas songs, set up the Christmas tree, go shopping and get gifts. 
But there are some very important things that I want you to remember about Christmas.
  • It is better to give than to receive.
  • God loves you so much!
  • You can help others because you have Jesus in your heart.
  • We have Christmas to celebrate the birth of Baby Jesus.
Your elf friend will help you to learn and remember these very important things about Christmas.  Together, you can show others Jesus’ love by singing songs about Him, giving to others in need that don’t have as much as you, and being nice to others.
It is our job to show God’s love to others through our gifts, nice words and loving actions.
Every night your elf friend will come visit me and I will send him back with a new activity that you can do together to help you learn and remember the true meaning behind Christmas.   Each morning, look for your new friend.  He will be in your home waiting for you to find him so you can do the activity together!
Please take care of my friend and together, you will learn about our awesome Savior, Jesus Christ.  You will learn about how God sent his only Son to live with us, and in us.
Have a blessed Christmas season!
With much love,
Santa

 As part of our advent activities, we will be using Elf on the Shelf to teach about Jesus.  We will be talking about what our daily lives look like when we have Jesus in our heart.  Each morning, our elf will be found doing something that will teach our little one what it looks like to have Jesus in our heart.  One day, the elf will be reading the bible to some of his stuffed animal friends.  Another morning, he will be found praying.  Another day, he will have a task from Santa to take food to a local food bank.  We have alot of fun activities planned for this advent season and I know Emma is going to love it.

When I read about this idea on the blog, it took me back to a few years ago when I had just gotten divorced and for the first time ever, I couldn't buy gifts for my kids. I was heartbroken as I love to spoil my kids rotten with gifts. I sat Darin and Emma down and with tears streaming down my face I talked to them about what was happening. I thought I would be dealing with disappointed kids. Instead, Darin was comforting ME and together we came up with a plan that instead of buying gifts, we would start on December 1st and do some kind of service project each day for someone in our community. We threw a few ideas out there to get us started. The first week we made homemade goodies like banana bread or cookies and took them to a family each night of the week. This continued on until Christmas eve. Let me tell you what this did to our Christmas spirit that year. I can't begin to tell you how much this brought the love of Christ into our home. Instead of frantically shopping like a mad woman, I was blessed with peace. Instead of worrying about not being able to buy gifts, or feeling sorry for our situation, we had love in our home. As I watched and listened to how my friends and family were scurrying around trying to fill their wish list, I became so grateful and blessed. We spoke kinder to each other. We were more mindful of those around us that were in need as we were actually seeking them out. We prayed as a family about who we could help and bless.  It was truly the most memorable Christmas that we have ever had. In return, we were blessed also by being on the receiving end  of another families act of service toward us. So, tonight for family night our elf is going to appear at our home with the letter from Santa. We are going to bring back the true meaning of Christmas by serving others each and every day.  This is truly what Christmas should be about. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with gifts but I think there is more "room in the inn" for Christ in our homes during this time of the year.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and will always remember to make room for Christ and to bless the lives of those around you who are in need.




No comments: