Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Season of Giving




I absolutely love this time of year!!  Everything about it gets me feeling giddy... the lights, the food, the traditions, and even the hustle and bustle of Christmas shopping! I grew up in a home where Christmas was filled with many wonderful memories of baking for others and making homemade candy. Fondu and breaking the homemade pinata was always the highlight of Christmas Eve. I have carried these traditions on to my family. I suggested one year that we change things up a bit and not do fondu. It warmed my heart when my son responded by saying, "No way mom....we can't have Christmas without it"!  He loves that tradition of my childhood.My heart is full tonight as I reflect on what a great example my mother and father were in giving so much to others this time of year.
It is in that spirit that I write this post about an experience I had that has forever changed my view on the giving of Christmas.

Three years ago was my first Christmas as a single mom. I found myself in a situation where I had gone from being the wife of a doctor where money was no issue, to not being able to afford
Christmas presents for my kids for the first time ever. I was heartbroken and worried what my son would think as a teenager where "things" are pretty important....where everyone goes to school after and brags about the latest and greatest gadgets and electronics that had been left for them under the tree. I sat my kids down to let them know that this Christmas was going to be different. It was my intent to tell my kids, especially my son, how sorry I was and how I had felt like a failure and that somehow I was going to make this right even if I had to go sell my blood for money!! The tears began to flow (as usual) as I told my kids and asked them to tell me how they felt and maybe we could make a plan. My son gave me a hug and reminded me in his humble way that Christmas isnt about getting a bunch of gifts. I honestly dont know why I was worried to begin with because Darin has always been very grateful for the things he has been given no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. We came up with a plan that instead of giving gifts to each other, we would do an act of service every day through the month of December.  Suddenly, all of the guilt and sadness left our home and it was replaced with excitement and planning and LOTS of baking!!! We shoveled peoples drives, left goodies on doorsteps, babysat so friends could shop without their kids for Christmas and various other things. There was not a shortage of people to help as we really opened our eyes to what was going on around us. We spent the evenings together as a family watching Christmas movies and drinking hot chocolate instead of fighting the crowds at the stores. I was relaxed, not stressed about getting everything on my list. It was truly the most amazing Christmas as the blessing was returned to us by a giving family that made sure my kids received gifts under the tree on Christmas morning.

I have often thought of this experience and what a peaceful loving feeling was in our home that season. I have wondered how it would affect the world around us if we all went into the Christmas season with the idea of doing service each day of the season along with a few gifts under the tree. I can't think of a better way to honor the most influential man that has every walked this earth, our Savior. He has done more for man than any single person and still continues to do so this day.  So, my challenge to anyone who is reading this post is to take some time this season to TRULY honor the person whose birth we celebrate by giving of your heart to those around you. Take some time to listen for those who are in need and give of your time this season to make someones life a bit brighter. Merry Christmas to all of you. May your homes be filled with love and the spirit of giving this holiday season.


No comments: